Our Chiropractors at Restore Wellness in Fountain Valley, CA Can Help You Treat and Manage Sciatica
Sciatica (which is also called lumbosacral radicular pain) refers to a constellation of symptoms which come from irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve which is the largest nerve in the body runs from the lumbar and sacral areas of the spine through the buttocks down the back of the leg and into the lower leg and foot. Here at our Restore Wellness in Fountain Valley, CA, we are ready to help treat and manage Sciatica.
What are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
Listed below are some of the most common symptoms of Sciatica.
- lower back pain
- leg pain
- hip pain
- leg numbness and weakness
- foot numbness
- toe numbness
- difficulty walking
- constant pain in the buttocks on one side
- pain in the hip worse when sitting
- a burning or a tingling pain in one leg
- sharp pain in the back or leg making it difficult to walk or stand
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica can be caused by many different conditions. These include:
Lumbar herniated disc: When a lumbar disc herniates, the inner soft disc material presses out of its fibrous capsule pressing against the nerve roots of the sciatic nerve as it exits the spine causing sciatica.
Lumbar spinal stenosis: Lumbar spinal stenosis occurs when the passageway of the roots of the spinal nerves in the lower back become narrowed leading to increased pressure on the nerves causing pain and other symptoms. When this stenosis compresses the sciatic nerve roots it causes sciatica.
Degenerative disc disease: Degenerative disc disease can lead to a ruptured disc which can compress the sciatic nerve roots causing sciatica.
Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis occurs when one of the lumbar spinal vertebrae (usually at the L5 level) slips forward on the vertebrae below it. This puts pressure on the sciatic nerve root causing sciatica.
Pregnancy: Pregnancy can also lead to sciatica.
How Can Chiropractors Manage and Treat Sciatica?
Your Fountain Valley Chiropractor will use both chiropractic and various other treatment modalities to help treat your sciatica.
- Chiropractic adjustments (spinal manipulation) helps to increase the range of motion of the spine and restore normal spinal vertebral alignment. This decreases pressure on the spinal nerves which cause sciatica, inflammation and muscle spasms.
- Active Release Techniques (ART) works through the manipulation of soft tissues to release adhesions and scar tissues decreasing nerve compression.
- Physiotherapy (Physical Therapy) uses massage, muscle stretching, joint mobilization and joint manipulation to help reduce the pain of sciatica.
- We also utilize Corrective Exercises, Lifestyle Advice and Nutritional Counseling to help improve your overall health and decrease your sciatic pain.
Call Our Restore Wellness in Fountain Valley, CA Today for an Appointment to Manage and Treat Sciatica
Call us today at (714) 534-1700 for an appointment to manage and treat sciatica. Restore Wellness is located in Orange County at 16177 Harbor Blvd. Fountain Valley, CA 92708